Dr. James M. Lopes
Dr. James Lopes is a board certified general surgeon with specialty training in bariatric surgery and advanced minimally invasive surgery.
Dr. Lopes believes that taking care of his patients is a privilege, and as such, works closely with them to find the best possible treatment for their problems. He focuses on developing a full weight loss program, utilizes small incision surgery to minimize postoperative pain, and utilizes a comprehensive bariatric team approach for optimal results.
Board certified by the American Board of Surgery in General Surgery
- Undergraduate: Yale University
- Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Categorical General Surgery Residency:
Indiana University and University of Maryland
- Fellowship: University of Florida
Areas of Concentration
Dr. Lopes offers a full range of bariatric weight loss surgery option, all performed with laparoscopic or “key-hole” surgery. They include:
- Gastric Bypass
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Adjustable Gastric Banding
All of Dr. Lopes’ patients are carefully assessed to see if weight loss surgery is the right decision for them. In addition to the bariatric surgeries, Dr. Lopes also offers a wide range of minimally invasive esophageal, diaphragmatic, and hernia repair surgeries.
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Associate Member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- American Board of Surgery, Board Certified
- Basic and Advanced Life Support
- Advanced Trauma Life Support
- A standardized approach to minimally invasive transhiatal esophagectomy. Lopes, J., Hochwald, S. and Ben-David, K. Presented at Digestive Disease Week 2010.
- Laparoscopic resection of a Pancreatic head gastrinoma in MEN-1. Lopes, J, Hochwald, S. and Ben-David, K. Submitted to American College of Surgeons