Dr. James M. Lopes
Dr. James Lopes is a board certified general surgeon with specialty training in bariatric surgery and advanced minimally invasive surgery.
Dr. Lopes believes that taking care of his patients is a privilege, and as such, works closely with them to find the best possible treatment for their problems. He focuses on developing a full weight loss program, utilizes small incision surgery to minimize postoperative pain, and utilizes a comprehensive bariatric team approach for optimal results.
Dr. Lopes is currently a principal investigator in a clinical trial evaluating bariatric surgery – gastric sleeve and gastric bypass – for lower BMI (30-35) patients.
Board certified by the American Board of Surgery in General Surgery
- Undergraduate: Yale University
- Medical School: Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Categorical General Surgery Residency:
Indiana University and University of Maryland
- Fellowship: University of Florida
Areas of Concentration
Dr. Lopes offers a full range of bariatric weight loss surgery option, all performed with laparoscopic or “key-hole” surgery. They include:
All of Dr. Lopes’ patients are carefully assessed to see if weight loss surgery is the right decision for them. In addition to the bariatric surgeries, Dr. Lopes also offers a wide range of minimally invasive esophageal, diaphragmatic, and hernia repair surgeries.
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Associate Member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- American Board of Surgery, Board Certified
- Basic and Advanced Life Support
- Advanced Trauma Life Support
- A standardized approach to minimally invasive transhiatal esophagectomy. Lopes, J., Hochwald, S. and Ben-David, K. Presented at Digestive Disease Week 2010.
- Laparoscopic resection of a Pancreatic head gastrinoma in MEN-1. Lopes, J, Hochwald, S. and Ben-David, K. Submitted to American College of Surgeons