Pathway to Weight Loss Surgery
The choice to undergo bariatric surgery is one of the most important decisions of your life. In order to fully understand the process, we have created the following general guide to what you should expect before and after surgery.
Below, you’ll find a few of several medically accepted criteria for defining morbid obesity and helping you determine whether or not you will qualify for bariatric surgery.
- Are more than 100 pounds over your ideal body weight
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or over
- Have a BMI of 35 or over and diagnosed significant co-morbidities, such as high blood pressure or diabetes
- Haven’t been able to maintain healthy body weight even with medically supervised dieting
Bariatric surgery should not be viewed as a weight loss tool exclusively. It is a tool to improve or eliminate the diseases that are caused and exacerbated by obesity. In the end it is up to our office and/or your insurance company to decide whether you are a candidate for bariatric surgery.
- Learn more About Obesity
- Learn more about Qualifying for Bariatric Surgery
- Learn more about Testing Before Bariatric Surgery
- Understand Weight Loss Options
- Expectations of Weight Loss Surgery
Insurance and Payment Options
Patients considering bariatric surgery have various options available to them in order to pay for the surgical procedures. Below, we’ll be describing a few of those options. How you pay for bariatric surgery is a highly personal decision, so there is no right or wrong way to pay for surgery. Following are a few options available to you.
One of the first requirements of our bariatric program is your attendance at one of our free seminars. Our office conducts periodic bariatric surgery seminars for people interested in weight loss surgery. These monthly seminars are completely free to you and serve to educate potential, qualified patients on the benefits and risks of the surgical procedures.
To register for a seminar, please call (973) 232-2300 or click the following link to visit the seminars page: Bariatric Seminars.