The Advantages of Lap-Band® Surgery:
Lap-Band® surgery is the safest and least invasive of all the major bariatric surgery procedures we offer. Approved by the FDA in 2001, it has rapidly become the second most popular weight loss surgery procedure in the US after gastric bypass. Some of the most compelling advantages of the Lap-Band® include:
- The Lap-Band® is fully adjustable and can be tightened or loosened depending on a patient’s weight loss progress.
- Band fills and adjustments are a very simple process, take between 10 and 15 minutes and can be performed in the surgeon’s office.
- The Lap-Band® is also removable in case of need or emergency.
- Lap-Band® patients are not as susceptible to vitamin and nutritional deficiencies because the small intestine is not rerouting unlike gastric bypass patients.
- Lap-Band® patients generally do not experience dumping syndrome, an uncomfortable but generally non-life threatening condition, like gastric bypass patients.
- Patients can usually achieve excellent weight loss and resolution of comorbidities including type II diabetes, high blood pressure high cholesterol and sleep apnea.
- Although the procedure remains a major one, the surgical risk during and after Lap-Band® surgery is significantly reduced (when compared to more invasive weight loss surgery procedures) because the stomach is not cut and small intestine is not bypassed.
- Lap-Band® patients can generally leave the hospital the day of surgery and recovery time, blood loss and pain are all lessened.
- Patients will be able to return to solid foods sooner and return to work sooner than other bariatric patients
- Patients also have greater flexibility in the food they eat because stomach is not cut away and the small intestine is not bypassed.
There are of course risks and complications associated with the Lap-Band procedure which will be detailed in another post. Please consult our office to learn more about your weight loss surgery options.Back To All Posts